Sunday, September 16, 2012

September 16, 2012 FJ40 Restoration Update

After lots of delays and preparation I finally had a full day of stripping Dubbeltjie.

One of the challenges was rusted bolts - I broke a few and am going to have to get them out using a tap-and-die set.  I used a product called PB Blaster, which is amazing.  I think with a little more patience I would not have broken as many bolts.  Spray any rusted bolt with PB Blaster, let it soak to work its magic for a short while and then slowly work the bolt out.  Sometimes - for really bad rusted bolts - I would let it soak overnight and then try it again the next day.  At times I would also work the bolt back and forth and spray a little more PB Blaster, soak and then gradually work it some more.

These bolts were tough to remove.

When I removed the glass at the back part of Dubbeltjie I didn't cracked any of the panes - however, the windshield was a different story.  Cracked it at first try - must have been aftermarket glass and not the sturdy Toyota glass.

Buggered up the glass

This is some sort of heat/sound barrier which I discovered under the rubber floor mats

Progress





No comments:

Post a Comment